"Pair Of Bronze Vases, XIXth Century, Barbedienne Edition"Pair of cups reinterpreting the Warwick Cup, a monumental Roman marble vase decorated with bacchic motifs and discovered in the ruins of the villa of Hadrian in Tivoli in 1771. In 1774 it is brought by William Hamilton from Italy to England. If the British Museum refused to acquire it, the cup made the happiness of George Greville, Earl of Warwick, who bought the object. Since 1978, the vase has been exhibited in the Burrell collection in Glasgow.
This vase was the subject of numerous copies, Barbedienne proposes here a reinterpretation. Beneath the upper edge adorned with motifs of ovine and vine leaves, mascarons in high relief represent figures of bearded men, probably of fauna, and of women, surely a bacchante. The handles take the form of tortuous vine stock while the cup rests on a pedestrian.
This pair of Barbedienne edition bronze cups is visible in our Bordeaux store, 64 rue Notre-Dame, 33000 Bordeaux.