Jean-Charles TARDIEU (Paris 1763-1830), painter of history and genre, usually called TARDIEU-COCHIN, he was a student of Jean-Baptiste REGNAULT (1754-1829) and took advantage of the advice as well as the benevolent friendship of his parent the Chevalier Cochin, of whom he was in a way the ward. He exhibited paintings which were very successful at numerous salons. He received several official royal and Empire orders. To date, many works are in private and public collections (Palace of Versailles, Louvre Museum, Château de Pau, etc .....)
Louis Nicolas GRIVEAU (1743 -1823): former adviser to the king, notary at the Châtelet de Paris from 1783 to 1790, member of the Chamber of Deputies under the Empire and the Restoration, Knight of the Royal Order of the Legion of Honor on 02 November 1814. Large owner, he owned on the current rue Cambon the hotel La Live de Bellegarde, famous in the 18th century for the Salon de Madame d'Epinay, which he rented then sold to the famous banker and Regent of the Banque de France Casimir Perier. In Paris he lived in the Faubourg Saint-Germain in the very elegant Hôtel de Mauron, rue de l'Université, near the Grand Chancellery of the Order of the Legion of Honor. He also owned the Vannes crystal factory, founded in 1765 by La Comtesse de Mazirot de Reims, who wanted to promote the exploitation of wood that belonged to him. She separated from it in 1788, in favor of Louis-Nicolas Griveau. General councilor, he was deputy of Meurthe from 1811 to 1815. He made present to the hospice of Toul of the totality of his salary during all the duration of his functions of deputy. He died in his castle of Vannes (castle built around 1600 by the counts of Ligniville, one of the illustrious noble houses of chivalrous extraction of Lorraine). The castle was destroyed after 1828.
References: Historical and genealogical biography of the outstanding men of the former province of Lorraine ... By Louis-Antoine Michel 1829
Oil on canvas cleaned on an old frame with relining. Signed lower left.
In good condition, circa 1815: 38 x 46 cm
Restoration period gilt wood frame, renovated, in good condition: 55 x 63 cm