Attributed to Denys van Alsloot (Mechelen 1560 - Brussels 1628)
Winter landscape with skaters on a frozen river
Early 17th century
Oil on canvas, 42 x 54 cm., With frame 56 x 68 cm.
Details of the artwork:https://www.antichitacastelbarco.it/it/prodotto/denys-van-alsloot--paesaggio-invernale
The beautiful painting proposed depicts a winter landscape, dotted with features and fascinating buildings arranged along the banks of a frozen river, where numerous characters animate the canvas intent on their daily leisure and activities, showing us a snapshot of popular life.
Although based on a concrete vision, the view reveals itself with a marked imaginative, free vein, capable of transfiguring the realistic landscape into something absolutely dreamy, almost dreamlike, depicting a sort of fairy tale on canvas, re-entering a landscape vein typical of the seventeenth century Flemish.
To increase this surreal atmosphere contributes the light coming from the horizon that floods the wide hilly landscape in a yellow and then blue hue.
Winter settings, like ours, reached their peak in the Dutch Golden Age, a real pictorial genre very widespread among painters, sought after by art collectors of the time, as well as, after almost four centuries, even by today's Flemish painting lovers.
In the wake of Pieter Brueghel the Elder, who introduced this pictorial genre in the third quarter of the sixteenth century, a large number of authors active between the end of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, created from time to time personal variations of the theme of the landscape immersed in the season. colder.
In our case we are faced with a canvas by the Flemish Denijs van Alsloot, landscape specialist, mentioned for the first time in 1599 as an illustrious member of the Brussels painters' guild, the same year in which he became master at the court of the archduke of Austria Alberto and Isabella of Habsburg.
Some of his magnificent compositions are now in the Prado Museum in Madrid, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, a winter landscape in the Louvre Museum in Paris.
Other works by the author:
- Winter landscape with Tervuren Castle, 1614, Brussels, Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium - https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Tervueren#/media/Fichier:Alsloot_-_Tervuren.JPG
- Winter landscape, 1610, Paris, Louvre Museum - https://collections.louvre.fr/ark:/53355/cl010064499
- Winter Landscape, Collection of Alfred and Isabel Bader, Milwaukee - https://www.pubhist.com/w7015
- Winter landscape with skaters, Hampel Monaco, April 2, 2020 -https://www.hampel-auctions.com/a/Denijs-van-Alsloot-um-1570.html?a=122&s=686&id=559223&q=Denijs%20van%20Alsloot
- Winter landscape with the abbey of Groenendael, Private Collection - https://rkd.nl/nl/explore/images/284261
Excellent state of conservation.