"Paris Porcelain - A Cup And Saucer With Floral Decoration In Relief And Gold - Nineteenth Century"Porcelaine De Paris - a cup and saucer with floral decoration in relief and gold - XIXth Century
Paris porcelain owes its fame above all to the hard porcelain factories which multiplied there from 1771, when it became possible to get the kaolin from Saint-Yrieix la-Perche near Limoges and compete with Sèvres whose exclusive privilege was slackening. In Paris and the surrounding area, new factories were established, escaping all prosecution, thanks to the patronage of royal princes. They were in turn, that of the Comte de Provence in Clignancourt named Manufacture de Monsieur (1771), those of Marie-Antoinette, rue Thiroux called the Queen's factory (1776), that of the Duke of Angoulême, rue de Bondy, founded by Dihl and Guerhard (1780), or the Duke of Orleans (1784). At the end of the 18th century, there were more than twenty hard porcelain factories in Paris. Among the main factories are those with the signs of the rue de la Fontaine-au-Roi, also known as the Courtille factory, directed by Locré (1771), the rue Popincourt, founded by Jean Nast (1782), the rue du Petit Carrousel ( 1774), the faubourg Saint-Denisoufaubourg Saint-Lazare established by Pierre Hannong (1771). Their production always aimed to imitate the works of Sèvres, whose processes they strove to appropriate and to attract workers. They were prohibited from using gold and colored backgrounds reserved for the sole manufacture of the king, but these ordinances were not always respected and, in 1784 and 1787, new decrees were issued granting them complete freedom.