"Giovanni Stanchi (rome 1608 - 1675) Workshop, Garland Of Flowers With The Virgin"Giovanni Stanchi (Rome 1608 - 1675) or Niccolò Stanchi (Rome 1623 - 1690), workshop of
GARLAND OF FLOWERS WITH PORTRAIT OF THE VIRGIN
Rome, First half of the Seventeenth century
oil on canvas, cm. 73 x 59
framed cm. 98 x 82
Details sur: www.ANTICHITACASTELBARCO.it
The examined painting is to be ascribed to the production of Giovanni Stanchi's atelier (Rome 1608 - 1675); The 'Stanchi' (the founder Giovanni, together with the brothers Niccolò and Angelo) constituted one of the most fervent still life workshops in Baroque Rome starting from 1630, sought after by the most important families of the aristocracy, from the Colonna, to the Chigi, to the Rospigliosi , and present since the end of the century in the Medici collections.
Their production, extremely varied in type but coherently stylistic, can be subdivided according to the subjects proposed: first of all the garlands, of which the proposed canvas represents an example of quality, linked to the Flemish model made famous in Rome by Daniel Seghers, and probably largely related to Giovanni; The style of the work may well approach the works of Niccolò, active in Rome for almost the entire seventeenth century, younger brother and owner of the workshop after Giovanni's death.
As for the portrait of the Virgin at the center of the garland, it must be said that, in this type of composition, the figures were often entrusted to a specialized painter, different from the painters of flowers. Carlo Maratta, for example, often collaborated with some important workshops, including Stanchi and Mario Nuzzi, completing their floral compositions with his religious subjects (see details).
This is the case, by way of example, of the magnificent mirrors performed by Giovanni Stanchi in 1670 for the gallery of Palazzo Colonna in collaboration with Carlo Maratta (Garland of flowers with four cherubs; and Vase of flowers with five cherubs), in competition with Mario dei Fiori, author of the other two; as for Nicolò, the younger brother who owned the shop after Giovanni's death, the mirrors in the Borghese palace, executed in 1675 in collaboration with Ciro Ferri.
CONSERVATION Our flower composition stands out for its bright colors and excellent preservation
Like all our objects, the work is sold with a certificate of photographic authenticity in accordance with the law.We handle and organize the transport of the purchased works, both for Italy and abroad, through professional and insured carriers.
Contact us for any information, we will be happy to answer you.