"Head Of Young Daughter By Louis-henri Nicot - Manufacture Fau Et Guillard à Boulogne-sur-mer"Earthenware with gold glaze and crackle effect. Manufacture Fau et Guillard in Boulogne-sur-mer. Before 1925, because Mr Fau separates from Mr Guillard at this date. The Fogui brand in the paste is a contraction of "fo" for André Fau (1896-1982) and "gui" for Marcel Guillard.
Louis-Henri Nicot (1878-1944): Born in Rennes in 1878, Louis-Henri Nicot will follow his artistic education at the Beaux Arts in Rennes with Coquelin, Lenoir, Ronsin then in Paris with Falguière, Mercié, Peter. During these years of very academic teaching, the artist is frequently honored. He finished his studies in 1909. Very quickly the Breton theme appeared in his work. After the war 14-18 Nicot will become one of the major Breton sculptors. From the outset, he was not among the artists who convey the greatest modernism. He built many war memorials in Brittany: Pleurtuit 1920, Guéméné-Penfao 1921, Montfort-sur-Meu 1923. But also outside Brittany like the Monument to the Army of the Rhine Occupation located in Mainz. In 1922, he became a professor at the school of applied arts in industry. His collaboration with the Manufacture Henriot will be done through Mathurin Méheut, a longtime acquaintance, and will start in 1924. He will create for them extremely local subjects which play on the permanence of a certain compassed image of Brittany, unless whether it is an ethnographic approach, the precision of the costumes is so obvious. Thanks to Nicot, Brittany regains its reassuring and very conservative image that artists who adhere to more modernity were trying to get it to leave through the decorative arts. Regular exhibitions, numerous busts, steles and commemorative works, a continuous presence at the Salon of French artists greeted by a gold medal in 1933, the official recognition of a title of Knight of Legion of Honor the same year, all contributes to making Louis-Henri Nicot a recognized and consensual artist. The artist died in 1944 while he was preparing the edition of new ceramic works in Quimper.