" Octave Guillonnet,portrait Of A Spahi Wearing The Guennour In Southern Algeria, C. 1902"Very beautiful portrait of a native Neaharist or spahi non-commissioned officer wearing guennour in southern Algeria by Octave Denis Victor Guillonnet.
Very beautiful sketch of impressionist invoice, oil on wooden panel of format 19 x 14.5 cm in very good state of conservation.
This table is very clean and framed.
Signature of the monogram in the lower left side of the work.
According to what we know of the artist’s stay in Algeria, this painting must have been done between October and December 1902 during his trip to Tassili.
Octave Denis Victor Guillonnet was a French impressionist and orientalist painter born on September 21, 1872 and died in 1967.
Coming from a wealthy family, Guillonnet spent his childhood in Jargeau, in the Loiret, then, after his marriage to Eugénie Guyon, between a summer residence in Carros, north of Nice on the Côte d'Azur and the rest of year round in Garches near Paris.
Considered a precocious child, he entered at thirteen as an apprentice in the studio of the painter Lionel Royer and at 15 he obtained his first medal at the Paris Salon. At 21, he was admitted "hors competition" and exhibited his works there. In 1901, he was awarded the National Travelers' Grant which allowed him to stay for a year in Algeria on a study trip. He then applied the new concepts he developed by studying the bright light and colors of North Africa to the production of ethereal portraits.
A number of his paintings can be seen at the Musée d'art moderne de la Ville de Paris and in provincial museums.
He also illustrated books such as L'Arlésienne by Alphonse Daudet and L'Histoire de Jeanne d'Arc by Viola Ruth Lowe.
He also received public commissions: the 46 panels for the Venezuelan Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Caracas, a series of "Stations of the Cross" in Philadelphia, as well as important work for the City Hall of Paris.
Guillonnet is the author of the monumental decoration on canvas of the vault of the village hall of the town hall of the 15th arrondissement of Paris, inaugurated in 1929. This work represents, in three panels, a bucolic saraband of naked figures around the coat of arms of Paris. The entire room, decorated in the art deco style under the direction of Henri Rapin, is listed in the additional inventory of historic monuments by ministerial decree of April 6, 2011 and was the subject of its first complete restoration campaign in 2011 under the direction of the heritage architect Luc Joudinaud.