"View Of A Port By Maurice Cahours""View of a port" by Maurice Cahours, 20th century, watercolor on paper.
Signed lower right. Framed under glass.
Dimensions with frame: 55.2 x 41.7 cm. Dimensions without frame: 42.2 x 28.2 cm.
Henri Maurice Cahours (Breton naval and street painter from Montmartre 1889-1974): Trained in Fine Arts in Amiens, Cahours has exhibited at the Salon des Artistes Français since 1920, obtaining a second medal in 1937, then at the Salon des Artistes Independent from 1922 to 1942, and to that of the National Society of Fine Arts since 1939.
He arrived on the Butte Montmartre in 1911, and devoted himself to painting. In 1916, he married Hélène, the daughter of sculptor Frédéric Debon. After the war, the couple moved to rue Berthe, in Pissarro's studio, and got to know all the painters of the Butte; it was also the year of the start of his stays in Douarnenez. The Galerie Terrisse organized an exhibition for him in 1923, as did the Galerie Georges Petit, directed by André Schoeller, in 1930 and 1931. Cahours exhibited in many provincial towns until 1942, the year of the death of his wife, he then stopped to show his works for several years. He was however present at the traveling exhibition “Montmartre in Algeria”, in 1948, organized by Madeleine Horst, with the painters, old and recent, of the Butte, which was renewed in 1951, under the title “Montmartre from formerly to today 'hui'.
In the 1920s, Cahours was appointed Director of Fine Arts of the Free Commune of Vieux-Montmartre. As such, he was associated with the creation of the city known as "Montmartre aux Artistes", at 189 rue Ordener. When success came, he settled in the house-workshop at 2bis, rue Cortot; this address appears in the catalog of the Salon des Indépendants, where he exhibited, in 1928, two works "Les Brûleurs de Goémon (Notre-Dame de la Joie)", and "Bénédiction de la mer à Douarnenez", as well as in the Salon of French Artists in 1930, where he presented two views of Pouldavid. Painter in the line of Marquet, he devoted himself to the Breton navies; he also painted the old streets of Montmartre. Henri Maurice Cahours was appointed official painter of the Navy on March 7, 1942. In 1965, he married Albertine Perrier in second nuptials who pushed him to retire to the Midi in order to preserve his health. He transformed the old prison of the Bishopric of Vence, built in the 15th century, into a workshop, where he continued to paint, in the same tone, of the Brittany navies.